Are you interested in passing paid family and medical leave this year? Contact your legislator and tell them why paid leave is important to you and ask that they support this year’s paid family and medical leave bills, S.B. 1 and H.B. 6212: An Act Concerning Earned Family and Medical Leave.
Unsure of who represents you? Find out HERE.
Sample script: “Hello Representative/Senator ____, my name is ___ and I strongly support paid family and medical leave. Too many workers in our state are forced to choose between their own health, the family they love and the job they need. As a regular voter in this state, paid family and medical leave is a big concern of mine. I hope you will do your part in making paid leave a reality THIS session by supporting S.B. 1 and H.B. 6212: An Act Creating a Paid Family and Medical leave System in the State. Thank you.”
A few additional talking points:
- FMLA isn’t working for too many families. Only 12% of private and 17% of public sector workers have access to paid leave through their employers.
- CT voters support paid family and medical leave. AARP 983%) and CT Working Families (75%) poll sin 2016 found the majority of voters in our state support paid leave. Nationally, it’s a bipartisan issue: 70% of Trump voters support paid leave.
- Paid leave benefits business, small and large. When workers don’t have access to paid leave, they’re more likely to need to leave their jobs. Paid leave improves worker retention and saves employers’ expensive turnover costs.
- Paid leave builds a strong and competitive workforce. Nearly 40% of millennials say they’d move to another country for better parental leave benefits.
- The time is NOW. To remain competitive in our region, CT must be the next state to pass paid family and medical leave.
For more information, download our Talking Points.