One quick and easy way to make your voice heard and support paid family and medical leave here in Connecticut is to contact your state Senator or Representative.
Unsure who represents you? Follow these quick steps:
- Visit the Connecticut General Assembly’s website, www.cga.ct.gov.
- Scroll to the middle of the page to the “Find Your Legislator” box.
- Insert your town, street name and number and click Find to bring you to your district’s elected officials.
- Click on your Representative or Senator’s NAME to bring you to their website. Click on their TITLE to open an automatic email message to their address.
- To call your Representative or Senator, visit their website. Contact information is typically listed in the upper right hand corner or under “contact.”
A few tips for calling your elected official:
- Identify yourself by name and the town you’re calling from.
- Explain your reason for calling (that you support paid leave).
- Follow the Campaign’s talking points or briefly share your own story.
- Ask your legislator (or the legislative aide who will likely answer the phone) his/her position on paid leave.
- Request a written response to your phone call or a phone call back if you did not speak to your legislative member.
- If the legislator requires further information, be sure provide it as soon as possible.
- Thank the person who took the phone call for their time and consideration.
Sample script for a call or an email:
“Hello Representative/Senator _______, my name is _______. I strongly support paid family and medical leave because too many workers in our state are forced to choose between their own health, the family they love and the job they need. As a regular voter in this state, paid family and medical leave is very important to me. [optional: share your personal experience or reason for supporting paid leave in 1-2 sentences] I hope you will help paid leave a reality THIS session by supporting paid family and medical leave. Thank you.”
Need more talking points? CLICK HERE!